Saturday 19 June 2010

Instead of Sport, why not read?

Putting aside my frustrations over the England teams performance last night (Let's not tar and feather Capello...not yet a least.  he is a quality Manager and the Team are just not playing.  Underworked and overpaid?  Maybe...)

I thought I would take time to recommend a book.  Jeffrey Archer is an Author, among other things, and I have read many of his novels and his prison diaries.  I met him many years ago when I was toying with the idea of hitting the West End with a musical version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I spoke to him on Sunday when he was on LBC talking about education in Prison and whether or not ALL crimes should warrant a custodial sentence.  We both agree that minor offences should be non custodial in many cases and that there is a very good and sound argument for the catagorisation of prisoners to be dealt with in court on the basis of the facts and the charge.  This would alleviate the unnecessary time clogging up the system in the holding prisons of London.

I have just completed his novel A Prisoner of Birth and I recommend it to you highly.  It is an exceptionally well crafted update of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.  There are enough twists and turns and cliff hangers in the book to make you want to read it in one sitting.  I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.  In fact I plan to read it again soon.

No comments: