Thursday 18 May 2006

Everyone is allowed a Rant once in a while!


Even me...
I ran a training session the other day and one of the delegates said something which sent the seminar off at a tangent. The sessions are very interactive and people get involved in ‘doing’ stuff rather than sitting there impassively because you retain more information if you are involved rather than just listening to someone, even if they are great :-).
Tangents are cool…I hate straight lines.
This guy put his hand up and said, “I am terrified about what my competition will do…how do I deal with them?”
There was a stunned silence.
In fact the silence was deafening. You could hear the shares in a pin company drop!
Some of the hard core guys in the group, face to face salespeople from all arenas, telesales cold callers doing 20k deals for breakfast, looked at him as if he had just admitted to thinking Jade Goody was hot.
These guys had the ‘talking dog look’. Like when you walk into a room and there’s a dog sitting there and it says, “Hi, how ya doing?”
You’re gonna look at that dog in the same way these guys looked at him. In fact, when you approach complete strangers and you start talking to them (because I recommend you do that to develop your air of uninsultability) that’s the look you want to receive. But not on this occasion.
“Terrified? What are you terrified about?” he was asked.
This guy had a complete and total dread of competition. He feared it.

F.E.A.R. False Evidence Appearing Real. That little dark room where your negatives are developed
I was amazed at how many people fear competition. I speak to lots of people and many of them are worried about what their competition is up to. I say, be interested but worry about it? Nooooo!
Hey, wise up! Competition is healthy! We need it. It keeps us on our toes. If I didn’t have competition I’d be concerned that what I was doing wasn’t worth doing.
The thing I like about competition is beating my competition.
In fact, I don’t just want to beat them…I want to grind them into the dust and hear the satisfying crunch as their bones break.
Competition is good. Watching the “talking dog look” on a competitors face as you soar ahead of them is a joy to behold.

Remember this…

  • People will try to take what they can from you.
  • At any given moment another person will attempt to get in front of you, be it in a queue or even going up an escalator.
  • If you are in a crowd and you move out of position then at least five other people will try to take your place faster than John Prescott reaching for the last pork pie at a buffet.


Do unto others before they do unto you and believe me Shylock, if you let them, they will!
I know other people, my so-called competition, repeat my work, I’ve seen it and heard it. But it’s what you do with it that counts. There are people repeating Bandler, Ross Jeffries and Anthony Robbins material all the time. Do they care? No, because they know that no one presents their stuff like they do.
Don’t worry about the competition…just be the best and leave your competition behind.

Be a success, enjoy your life and be the best at what you do, and the competition will be so mad they will cease to be competition.

No comments: